Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

On the Inanity of Leaf Blowers

You already know the sound. There really is no adequate way to describe the sound, but one imagines that this is very similar to what the First Circle of Hell must sound like.

But I'm not here today to talk about the sound. That's a lost battle. I take issue, today, with the very idea of leaf blowers themselves. Unlike a rake - that carefully organizes leaves in neat piles, thus facilitating their collection into large plastic bags - or even a lawnmower - that mulches them down into handy specs of organic matter, neatly hidden below the grass - a leaf blower takes your solution and turns it into someone else's problem.

A leaf blower is the answer to the quandry, "I have leaves to take care of, but I'm too lazy to actually get rid of them. What if I just moved them and made someone else deal with it?" They are the very definition of out of sight, out of mind. But with that noise added just out of pure cruelty.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I can't believe if leaf blowers are a thing. I love our society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least we can say you are about equally as prolific on FIWK as you are on LoC...

    ReplyDelete